JBES MULTIMEDIA ARTS
Teacher: Jean-Marc (JM) Duchesne
SCROLL DOWN OR CLICK ON THE SIDE MENU TO VIEW EACH LESSON
TERM1 (20% overall)
WEBSITE DESIGN (35%)
MOTIVATING QUOTE (30%)
TERM 3 (60% overall)
1. PHOTOGRAPHY (70%)
2. ART CRITIQUE #2 (30%)
TERM2 (20% overall)
ZINE: Elements of Art (25%)
ART CRITIQUE (INTENTION) #1 (30%)
POSTER: 94 Calls to Action (35%)
LESSON Create a website
Assignment #1: Website Design
Evaluation: 35% (See rubric criteria #2, 5, 6 for evaluation; located at the end of this website)
Design your own Website portfolio using a Wix.com
BLANK template and apply the following items:
1) Set-up your account & start by using a BLANK template
2) Create your website art portfolio and in the header inscribe YOUR NAME, YOUR GROUP, YOUR CONTACT
3) If your Attendance card is already completed (lesson #2), scan your card and INSERT into your site.
As a reference guide on how to create, step by step, a WIX.com BLANK template, see video below.
LESSON Typography: Attendance Card
Assignment #2: ATTENDANCE CARD_Typography
(SEE EXAMPLE ON RIGHT SIDE)
(See rubric criteria #1, 4, 7 for evaluation; located at the bottom of website)
Design an attendance card with the following items:
1) FULL NAME using both Latin alphabet and Cree syllabics
2) GROUP # (e.g.: 411, 412, 511, 315...)
3) CONTACT information (phone and email)
4) THREE (3) ELEMENTS OF ART minimum (see classroom wall posters)
5) BE CREATIVE and think "outside the box".
As a reference guide and to discover typographic styles visit DaFont.com
Also, view the video below, "The History of Typography"
LESSON Motivational Quote
Assignment #2: MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE
(See example below)
(See rubric criteria #1, 6, 7 for evaluation; located at the bottom of website)
1) Search online for a quote that inspires you. The quote can be well-known or even an original one that you create.
2) Place the quote on your website on a background strip of your choosing.
NOTE: below is an example of a well-known quote placed on a rainbow flag strip.
Be the Change
YOU Wish to See in the World.
LESSON (Zine): The Elements of ART
Assignment #4: The Elements of ART (Zine)
Evaluation: 25% (See rubric criteria #1, 4, 5 for evaluation; located at the end of this website)
1) Create a "Zine" that incorporates the 7 Elements of Art (one element per page).
SEE VIDEO BELOW ON HOW TO FOLD YOUR ZINE.
2) Be as CREATIVE as possible. Remember it isn't how well you draw but the effort you apply to communicate your intention.
3) Inscribe your name and group section on the physical Zine, and upload it unto your website.
4) Consult the Element posters on the classroom wall, OR online at https://thevirtualinstructor.com/artfundamentals.html OR again online at
to learn about the 7 Elements of Art.
Example of a completed Zine on The 7 Elements of Art:
Assignments #1 & #3: Design a website & quote
LESSON Art Appreciation
Assignment #5: INTENTION (Art Appreciation)
Evaluation: 30% (See rubric criteria #3, 7, 9 for evaluation; located at the bottom end of this website)
What does intention mean?
1: what one intends to do or bring about an objective, such as, for an artistic work, a prayer, or action that is undertaken.
2: a determination to act in a certain way.
3: the purpose with respect to significance.
4: Purposely directed process or manner.
5: a concept, an idea, directed to a proposed creation
A) Create your own work of art (drawing, photography, carving, digital, etc.), that you will critique using the 15 prompts below. Also, give it a title.
NOTE: Les élèves des groupes français, 401-402-501, sont invités à soumettre leurs réponses en français.
1) "What is your first impression of your artwork?"
1) « Quelle est votre première impression de l’œuvre? »
2) "Describe how the artwork connects to you?"
2) « Décrivez comment l’œuvre se connecte avec vous? »
3) "Provide a detailed description of what you see (OR hear, taste, smell, touch if the medium is not visual)?"
3) « Fournissez une description détaillée de ce que vous voyez (OU entendez, goûtez, sentez, touchez si le médium n’est pas visuel)? »
4) "What is the INTENTION of the artwork?"
4) « Quel est l’INTENTION de l’œuvre d’art? »
5) "Which art elements are the most significant in your artwork?"
5) « Quels éléments artistiques sont les plus importants dans l’œuvre? »
6) "How does the title of the artwork add to its meaning?"
6) « Comment le titre de l’œuvre ajoute-t-il à l'intention? »
7) "Who is your intended audience?"
7) « Qu'elle public visez-vous? »
8) "Was the INTENTION successful, why?"
8) « Est-ce que l’INTENTION de l’œuvre était réussie, pourquoi? »
TO SUBMIT YOUR ASSIGNMENT (Deadline for submission is December 16, 2022):
Document (photo) and paste your artwork, as well as all prompt answers unto your own website portfolio.
IMPORTANT: don't forget to press the PUBLISH button when it is done.
LESSON Poster Making
Assignment #6: POSTER MAKING
Evaluation: 35% (See rubric criteria #1, 2, 7 for evaluation. Detailed description located at the end of this website.
Art-making should move beyond "making beautiful imagery" and inspire you to use the language of art in a way that will move and change peoples perception of things.
But first, how do you make a poster that will get noticed, and that speaks loud and clear!
Now that you know what makes a good poster you need to have something to advertise.
Your assignment is to make a poster explaining, but mainly seizing the attention of JBES students and staff walking down the hallway.
The message you'll advertise is on ONE of the 94 Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Calls to Action that resonates with you. Then, come see your teacher, JM, to receive approval about your choice.
Before selecting the CALL TO ACTION that you want to promote, view the following three videos explaining Canada's cultural genocide of Indigenous Peoples and how Canada's Indigenous and settler nations can today move forward as explained by Senator Murray Sinclair.
Mar 21, 2018
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission spoke to thousands of survivors and found that what took place in residential schools in Canada amounted cultural genocide of Indigenous Peoples. So what changes have been made since then?
Feb 7, 2019
TRC Mini Documentary - Senator Murray Sinclair on Reconciliation.
Mar 23, 2018
Truth and Reconciliation Commissioner Murray Sinclair says Canadians can work toward reconciliation by reading the report and finding a call to action that interests them.
Now, go to BEYOND 94 and select a resolution that resonates with you.
Tell JM which "Call to Action" you will make a poster for display, and only you will make that poster.
MAKING A GOOD POSTER IS NOT EASY.
TAKE YOUR TIME AND PLAN OUT YOUR IDEA(S) ON PAPER FIRST.
1) Choose ONE resolution.
Example: EDUCATION #6 (Repeal the 'Spanking Law')
2) Create a TITLE and something that will catch a person's attention.
Example: STOP SPANKING! over a RED HAND
3) Inscribe the source.
Example: Truth and Reconciliation 94 Calls to Action
4) Create a one to two sentences to explain the proposed resolution.
Example: Section 43 of the Criminal Code of Canada has not been repealed.
Now, go to CANVA.com and use the free software to create a poster that has impact!
When your poster is completed, upload it unto your personal website and send a .pdf copy by email to email@example.com with the mention of your name and group.
DEADLINE: END OF TERM 2 on Friday, February 17, 2023
Assignment #7: PHOTOGRAPHY
Evaluation: 70% (See rubric criteria #2, 4, 6, 7 for evaluation. Detailed description located at the end of this website.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD PHOTO?
Consider the ELEMENTS in art and PRINCIPALS in design.
Consider how everyone typically views the world, and present them an angle and/or a shot that expresses a new way of seeing.
Consider STORY within a given frame.
Consider LIGHT as photography is a light sensitive medium.
Consider how you FEEL (Emotional response) about the LOCATION, PERSON, EVENT or THING you are planning to capture.
Check out the following videos below to help you compose and make better photos.
YOUR TWO PART ASSIGNMENT:
1.Create a photo gallery like the one below with 10 of your best photos.
NOTE ON GETTING YOUR PHOTOS UNTO YOUR WEBSITE:
1) Select your chosen photo. If, you are sending more than one photo use WeTransfer.com
2) Send the photo(s) to your email account
3) From your email account, download to your computer
4) Open your Wix website and add (+) a photo gallery
5) Create a 10 photos gallery of your photos by replacing each generic photo on the template gallery
2. Select your BEST ONE as below, and edit your image using any of the following apps:
SNAPSEED free mobile device photo editing software
PHOTOMOSH is a free photo online application that allows creative freedom
ENCOLLAGE is a free collage software that allows you to compose a frame like the one just below.
OR, come see JM if you have another idea in mind and are searching for an app that will allow you creative freedom to create your intended imagery.
DUE DATE: Friday, April 21, 2023
10 Photos Gallery uploaded unto your website
1 Best Photo uploaded unto your website and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
LESSON Art Appreciation on Photography
Assignment #7: PHOTOGRAPHIC INTENTION
Evaluation: 30% (See rubric criteria #1, 3, 6, 9 for evaluation. Detailed description located at the end of this website.
Using your final BEST photo write a 100-word essay explaining your APPROACH and INTENTION about your BEST PHOTO.
Écrivez un essai de 100 mots sur votre APPROCHE et votre INTENTION par rapport à votre MEILLEURE PHOTO.
BEFORE YOU WRITE CONSIDER THE TWO FOLLOWING PROMPTS:
AVANT D’ÉCRIRE, CONSIDÉREZ LES DEUX ITEMS SUIVANTS :
Did you consider any of the seven basic elements of photographic art: line, shape, form, texture, colour, size, and depth?
Avez-vous pris en compte l’un des sept éléments de base de l’art photographique: la ligne, la forme 2D, la forme 3D, la texture, la couleur, la taille et la profondeur?
Did you frame, light and compose your image in order to emphasize what you were attempting to capture and/or say? How?
Avez-vous cadrer, éclairer et composer votre image afin de mettre l’accent sur ce que vous essayiez de capturer et / ou de dire? De quelle façon?
DUE DATE: Friday, April 21, 2023
Essay uploaded unto your website and also sent to email@example.com
Want to pass Art?
If, you did not pass Term 1 and/or Term 2, but have completed Term 3 assignments (7 & 8), come see JM to know how you may complete unfinished assignment(s) to pass and receive your Art credits.
TERM 1 (20% overall)
Lessons 1, 2 & 3
TERM2 (20% overall)
Lessons 4 & 5
TERM 3 (60% overall)
Lessons 7 & 8
"When learning how to create and appreciate Art,
it becomes all about the process not the result".